Tuesday 3 July 2012

tasty tuesday : crepes


Strawberry crepes are absolutely one of my favorite things about Summer.  Every year, when the first local strawberries are ripe, my mom goes out and buys a huge flat of them....and then invites my grandparents over for strawberry crepes!   

I like to consider myself as a pretty good crepe-maker....however, my grandma makes the BEST crepes.  I can't pinpoint exactly what it is...but hers just taste better!


My favorite way to eat crepes is by filling them with fresh strawberries.....but there are countless different combos you can try!  Sometimes I'll do a plain old cinnamon and sugar version.....and I know that one of Jordyn's favorites is nutella and banana!

Crepes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
3 Eggs
1 3/4 cups of Milk

*Your choice of filling! (berries, bananas, peanut butter, chocolate, nutella, cooked apples + ice cream, etc.)

Directions:
1)  In a medium bowl, mix together flour and salt.
2)  Whisk eggs in a separate bowl, and add milk.
3)  Add egg and milk mixture to the flour mixture, and whisk until smooth. (note: *batter will be VERY runny)
4)  Heat a medium to large frying pan (depending on the size of crepe desired) on medium high [on our stove we set it at 8], and grease with butter/baking spray.
5)  Use a ladle to scoop your batter into the middle of the pan, and then rotate the pan quickly to spread out your batter very thinly. 
*this will take a bit of trial and error to figure out the thickness of crepe desired, as well as figuring out how to rotate the pan*
6) Watch your crepe carefully...they cook VERY quickly!  And flip over once you notice bubbles forming, and most of the batter is not gooey anymore.  (I often peek under the crepe to see how brown it's getting to know when to flip!)
7)  Once both sides are cooked, repeat steps 5 and 6 until you're out of batter!  


1) Ladling the batter into the middle of the pan.
2) Quickly rotating the pan to spread out the batter.
3) First side cooked and ready to be flipped.
4) Done and ready to be eaten!

This is an awful photo....but I still kind of like it!  I LOVE flipping crepes with the flick of my wrist (rather than using a flipper), and no one was around to help me....so I attempted to capture the action myself!


The essentials.  Crepe.  Sugar.  Strawberries.


And now for the assembly.


A fun fact: this recipe comes from my grade 7 cooking class, and is officially called "Kelsey's Krapes".


Maybe for Christmas this year I'll ask for a REAL crepe pan....

What's your favorite Summer treat?

ps: kelsey 

9 comments:

  1. I hear you... I should have asked for a crepe pan when I got married... This recipe sounds delicious! I must try this :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be biased because I hail from France but damn, I love crepes! thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks amaazinggg... I want this in my mouth right now, please.

    ...and I totally know that you're thinking "that's what she said"... dirty girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear...I have NO idea what you're talking about... ;)

      Delete
  4. Yummy, yummy... :) I showed these pics to my boyfriend and in the next hour we had crepes with blueberry marmalade :)I just wish we had fresh fruit but whatever, they were still delicious :)
    Greetings from Czech republic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you please tell Mr how many crepes does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe makes about 10-12 crepes, depending on how big your pan is of course! :)

      Delete

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...